Alright, I have successfully completed 2 weeks of camp with Pre-K and Kindergarten kids. It was a lot of fun, and the kids were so cute, but I'm ready to move on. I'll miss those kids, but I'll see them around. I love those kids, but teaching them was a big challenge. I definitely work better in a teaching capacity with the older kids...or at least I think I do. Actually, I haven't worked with any older kids. It might turn out that I'm better with the little ones. My teacher filled out an evaluation for me, and it was all good. I doubt people ever give poor evaluations...unless someone is really bad. Well, it's all over now. I get to move up one grade level at a time. My schedule has changed a little since I posted it last month:
Week 3 (June 20- July 4): Wild at Heart with 1st-2nd grade
Week 4: Sleuths with 3rd-4th
Week 5: Aquatic Odyssey with 3rd-4th
Week 6: Advanced Bay Quest with 8th-10th
Week 7: Nature and the Arts with 1st and 2nd
Week 8: Water Works with 1st and 2nd
Week 9: Storm Chasers 5th-7th
Yup, I get the full range and get to work my way up. It will be interesting to see how each group changes. Only a few things have changed and the camps that I really wanted to do, I still get to do. So, all is well.
I'm pretty much exhausted after two weeks of Pre-K. Everyone is congratulating me on surviving, so I guess this is normal. The most important lesson from the past two weeks is probably flexibility in lesson plans. The dynamic of our AM and PM classes were completely different from each other and Ali and I really had to figure out what to change to make it a good experience for the PM campers, and for us too. We decided on more unstructured time, and working in groups. For me it meant doing a lot of stuff without Ali. I lead my group of 8 on hikes, crafts, games, etc. It seemed like a lot to me, but it worked, so I stuck with it and really enjoyed it.
So, goodbye Pre-K! You taught me a lot and looking back, I promise not to remember all the bad times and just remember the cute ones...there were plenty of both.

There! Aren't they cute?? They were convinced that I couldn't see them when they hid there.
0 comments:
Post a Comment